Old 05-22-16, 08:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It would help us a lot if we knew what saddle you have now.

The problem with a lot of padded saddles is that soreness doesn't show up until a number of miles have been ridden per ride. That's because as you ride further/longer the padding compresses and that then introduces chafing or pressure points that can then cause soreness. Also, saddle position and tilt can be off a bit and thus soreness only happens after a number of miles are ridden per ride.

Some people like a saddle that's flat transversely rather than more rounded. I also think that the more upright your riding position the wider the saddle needs to be. That's because more of your weight is on your butt when you ride more upright.

I don't know if they still do but Bontager used to have a 30 day trial period if you bought a new saddle. If at the end of 30 days you didn't like the saddle you could exchange it, get a store credit or get your money back. I got a Bontager 612 that I really like.

One other thing. Bicycling shorts or a chamois lined undershort is NOT designed to provide padding but is designed to reduce friction and to wick sweat away from senitive areas. many times soreness of the butt is the first stage of chafinf or sweat induced or seam induced damage to the skin of your butt. Bicycling specific shorts whether snug racing style or touring style have flat seams to reduce chafing and pressure.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 05-22-16 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Additional comment