Old 05-23-10, 04:34 AM
daveinozbikes

Bikes: Apollo racer. circa 1984.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent post Catweazle......

Catweazle?? I remember the TV series...funny or what !!! "NOTHING WORKS !!!" hahaha.

Now, I"m just turned 65 (ugh) and a year ago I dragged my old racer out of the shed where it had sat under a plastic sheet for 20 years...yes, twenty years !! Because in that time I was into touring motorcycling big time all over Australia.

Even when I first got the bike it was a whim and I hardly rode it.

Then I went crazy...or crazier. I spent $300 doing the old bike up.... Bought all the "right" clothes and shoes,even fitted clipless pedals on the old bike. The kids cracked up laughing..

I had always been told "your feet should touch the ground" OK...

Then people like you taught me the correct way. slide off the saddle when stopping. One problem though....the topbar was 1" above my groin so I never got round to trying that method.

Soooooo...bought the frame of a triathlon bike ( a Trek Equinox E9 in RED) for a song and proceeded to rebuild it with parts from Ebay and others. What a project!! I suggested to my wife that I had got so much knowledge perhaps I should tried bike mechanics part-time..

Now I can do it right..starting and stopping (and the Trek is about 10kgs lighter than my old bike), which sits forlornly in the shed again....