Old 08-21-10, 03:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scary_perry
I turn 40 next year. Riding well past 50 is a really big deal for me. I want to be active right to the end.

For you awesome folk that have kept the flame alive - what tips can you give me?

My focus will be weight loss, flexibility and bone density. Anything else?
YES

None of the above goals will keep you riding after 50.

What will keep you riding after 50 is finding that bicycling is a totally enjoyable and fun activity, and finding in that activity other things that interest and/or satisfy you. Perhaps it is the challenge of the race; or the sociability of riding with others; or the "alone time" when you have an opportunity to reflect and shed the days/weeks/months worries; or the solititude as you go new places by yourself and meet your own personal challenges; or the satisfaction of touring around the country, etc., etc.

Those are the kinds of things that will keep you bicycling (or perhaps some other interesting physcial activity) after 50. The things you mentioned are side benefits, except bone density.

Bone density is NOT a side benefit of bicycling - in fact, just the opposite. which is why many of us engage in resistance training and cross training.

But, first of all, it must be fun.

Have a great ride,

DnvrFox - age 70 and still riding.