Old 07-21-15, 08:26 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Just really confused. Looking to get my first road bike. I've been researching Trek 1.5, 1.2, and the 2.1 Madone. Now prices range from about 800 to 1200. But on the other hand I'm looking at Performance Bike Store in my area and all these Fuji Sport bikes seem to be cheaper. Fuji Sport 2.1 is $749. Fuji Sport LE 3 is only $599. Fuji 2.5 C is 499. I'm just wondering why there is a big price desparity. Which is the better brand for someone that is serious about getting into this sport and wants to ride for a long time?
Neither brand is better than the other. They are both good quality bikes and good companies. There are reasons why some bikes cost more and some less. It is really a matter of preference, which is extremely subjective. Brand loyalty in bikes is quite high. It is kind of like piss on Ford and piss on Chevy. Ask one and you know the answer. Ask another and you know their answer.
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Well it can't be as simple as that. They say you can't get a good road bike under 800, yet this brand has tons of cheaper bikes
You can get a good road bike for under $800. Trek has the 101 and Fuji has the 1.3. The Trek is equipped with Claris while the Fuji is equipped with a 10speed Tiagra. The Fuji comes with a better set of components in this case. If you go up to the Trek 1.5 for $1099 you will step into Tiagra. By the same token, the Fuji Sportiff 1.1 goes for the same price but is equipped with a 105 drivetrain, which is a step better than Tiagra.

Originally Posted by jrossbeck
The Fuji's are a better deal/bargain. The Treks are a better bike. There is no shame in the purchase of either, get the best bike that you can afford that also fits you.
In this case the Fuji is a better bargain. I do not buy that Trek is a better bike though. It is a more prestigious brand but not necessarily a better quality bike. I do not buy that for a second.

Originally Posted by punkncat
Certainly it's not.
But I ask you this. What high profile pro is sponsored by Fuji? without looking...
I can come off my head with at least three HIGH profile, and one disgraced cyclist whom have been sponsored by Trek. Don't think that doesn't mean anything on the bottom line.
For the average cyclist any name brand bike that fits well will more than suit their needs and be of decent quality in regards to price.
Who cares what the pros ride? They are paid to ride those bikes. Some companies do not sponsor race teams. That is not significant in the quality of a bike. I have never watched a race and probably never will. I do not know the name of a single racer outside of Lance. A quick google shows that in the 2015 Tour de France, there are 22 teams and 17 sponsors. I did not see names like DeRosa, Moots, Seven, Lynsky, Cube, GT, Masi, Wilier, Boardman, Merck, Litespeed, BH, Felt and etc. Are those bikes not as good? One could argue that some brands can sell for less because they do not have to cover the costs of sponsoring pro teams and etc.
You do not buy a bike because somebody else rides it. You buy it because it fits you well and you like it. Most bikes come with Shimano, Sramm or Campagnolo. The higher you go up the models in those, the more expensive the rest of the bike typically goes. Performance is a chain and they sell a lot of Fuji bikes. They keep their prices down because of volume and because they mix mash some of the components. Of course Trek and the other do as well on the entry level side. The 2 aforementioned Treks are both 10 speed and contain FSA and Sunrace parts. The Fujis do as well. Another poster claimed that the Fuji are 8 speed and the Treks 10 speed. This is simply not true in this case. They are all 10 speed.
To the OP, I know that this is all confusing. You typically pay for weight in road bikes. I am not going to pretend to know which bike weighs more between the ones listed. I would assume that they are very similar. In fact, I would bet that the Fuji with Tiagra weighs less than the Trek with Claris. I may be wrong but in the end, it really does not matter that much for non racers and entry level bikes.
For the record, I do not ride Trek or Fuji. I state that before I give this advise. If this is your first bike, buy from Performance. You will get a fitting and a good bike. You will also get more bike for the money and get their points back to buy some other equipment like pedals, helmets and etc. It really is a good deal. Ride the bike for 2 years. After that, you will know more about the sport and what type of rider you are and what you like in a bike. You will probably get another bike at that point. You may also find that you do not like biking and you can minimize your loss. I never advocate spending your max on your first bike because it is rare that the first bike will be your last one. Spend less on your first bike and go from there.
I wish that Performance was in my town when I first started road biking. I still bought an entry level Felt at the time but Performance would have been a better deal for that entry level. I buy clothes from them now and they have no bikes that interest me so I would not buy one from them. I ride Campy and boutique bikes so I have no plan on changing. Either way, I think that Performance is a great place for a first time buyer and entry level bike. Their bikes are not prestigous name brands but they are excellent bikes just the same.

Last edited by Shuffleman; 07-21-15 at 08:34 AM.