styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Drinking.....so it started as a Midsommar build ???? I seem to recall (barely) O.P. Anderson and Beska Droppar being involved the one midsummer i did near Göteborg many years ago
You have a good memory - considering having beska droppar and O.P Anderson... I assume you got off easy being a foreigner. My favourite schnapps are O.P, Aalborg Jubileum and Skåne. The Norwegian Linie and Löjtens aquavit are both OK (but do not let the Norwegians know). But with the right combination of fresh potatoes and pickled herring I will drink any aquavit. I draw the line at vodka. Vodka is something to use for washing your hands during corona times. Vodka is technical alcohol. Aquavit has some flavouring to it - and that is a big difference.

Well - today I finished the Monark Super Continental 90320. This was an easy build. The frame came almost ready for build up. Just a good cleaning and waxing - some small detailing. The parts I already had and even if I had to clean and polish some of them - this was a walk in the park. One could argue that after 18-19 of these Monark/Crescents it should be easy but you would never know. Things turn up that you do not reckon with. With this one it was the NOS Mafac brakeset. The levers were for a handlebar of another diameter. I had to source parts to get it working. Luckily I have a stash of parts to draw from - but it took a couple of hours to find them and get it right.

Mafac: s in general is not something I have a great experience of. I have always had a stash of long reach (formerly know as normal reach) Campagnolo Record brakes that I have used when building these bikes. This time I wanted to use the Mafac Racer set. It was a charm to set up after the debacle with the levers.

I went with red cotton wrap, which is both "catalogue correct" and otherwise fitting the bike´s colour scheme. I wrapped it as the mechanics at the time did - over the half hoods. There was a reason why they did it like this. It holds the rubber hood in place better. I have built this bike as a racer - which explains the brakelever positioning. This was the way they were supposed to be positioned (on a racer). And at my age (56) I am still flexible enough for it to work.

This was a short build thread but I hope you have enjoyed it. Even if I have some problems with the frame build finish - there is no way around the fact that this bike´s exact likes were ridden to both amature world championships and olympic medals by the Fåglum-Pettersson brothers. A circa 50 year old Swedish classic in very good condition - resurrected and saved for the future.

And I have lost some brain cells during the build - but I have had fun!

PS - had a nice dinner with my wife and my brother and his wife - to celebrate the bike´s finished build. I hereby declare they could not care less. "Oh - you have built yet another bike..."!

I am used to it. And I guess I am the abnormal one.

Last edited by styggno1; 06-28-20 at 05:50 PM.