View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 08:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Had to make the call of shame this morning. I hit a bump, harder than I wanted to, and with me swapping out the stem yesterday I started thinking about my headset. I didn’t have any obvious play yesterday, but I honestly didn’t do a good job of checking. After I hit the bump, I checked for play and at first didn’t think felt any but I couldn’t be sure. I turned around to head home, stopping by parents for water and checked it again. This time looking at the bottom of the headset where the fork meets I could see movement when holding the front break and rocking it. I decided then not to ride it anymore.

I never felt any play while riding, should I be concerned? I plan on loosening the stem and then tightening the cap to 4 nm. My manual say 2nm, but that obviously wasn’t enough.
I had a similar problem with my Seven, couldn't keep the headset tight enough. Turned out the star nut (or whatever it's called) inside the steer tube was loose enough to creep up the steer tube. I took the cap off and the nut has a hex, I think it's 6mm, to lock it in place.
Kinda like the second one in this video.

Last edited by big john; 08-11-20 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For big john: