Thread: Addiction LXXIX
View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that airborne is a problem, but it's interesting to hear little concern for touch transmission. Much of the emphasis early was, "wash your hands for ," "this virus can survive X days on a surface," "don't go to playgrounds - they're petri dishes," etc, etc. Being an avid avoider of the news, I hadn't noticed a shift.

Oh, and FWIW - giving a kid (my kid?) a bottle of hand sanitizer and expecting him to use it without being hounded... yeah not gonna happen.
A lot of the early concern was prompted by an NEJM article about the survival of SARS-CoV-2 on various surfaces, but they were REALLY pouring it on them, far more than you'd expect in real life. And over time we've learned - through contact tracing in countries that didn't totally screw up the response - that most of the transmission seems to be close contacts indoors. Very few traceable to outdoor contacts or surface contamination. BUT, since everyone sticks their fingers in their face holes all the time, the hand hygiene part is still valid.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: