Thread: Addiction LXXIX
View Single Post
Old 08-11-20, 12:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I did the vast majority of my riding solo until a few years ago - once every blue moon, I'd ride with one or two other people and I'd do the occasional charity ride, but that's about it. I still enjoy riding solo, and sometimes I'll skip group rides because I just want that alone time, but group rides are a nice change of pace and have some great benefits.

The visibility/safety aspect is great - many roads that I'll avoid solo aren't much of a concern with even as few as four riders.

Flying along faster than you could sustain by yourself is awesome, too (funny enough, though, is that my solo rides often have a higher average speed than the group rides). The camaraderie and competitiveness is fun and are great motivators, also.
Paceline riding can't be beat. But then you have to deal with those other people. The thing that drives me away from group rides is A) i am always a guest these days and b) there is all that shouting and pointing. Drives me ****** nuts