View Single Post
Old 08-09-17, 07:24 PM
hyegeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom1
As for not eating, even if you're sitting on the couch watching TV, 6-10 hours is a long time to eat nothing. To do that on the bike seems completely pointless. What does that serve you? What else do you have to do while riding 100 miles?
Watch the scenery.

While 6-10 hours is a long time to eat nothing, one of the interesting side effects of a keto diet is you can go long stretches without being hungry. Oddly enough, I find that putting out effort actually decreases my appetite for a while. This tends to result in the first day or two of a tour having me eat very little.

When my appetite does kick in, I may end up putting away quite a bit of food, but without feeling like if I don't eat, I won't be able to keep going.

Originally Posted by fantom1
It just seems so strange that it makes me wonder if there is any truth to it, hence my joke about it.
It's certainly true for me. It was not something I was looking to do, just something I discovered. In fact, I did not set out to go keto, my goal was to control blood sugars. After settling on a diet that worked, I later learned that I was in ketosis and this was a "thing" people did. In the same way, I learned from experience that I could go a long time without eating or being very hungry.