Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Darth Lefty's kids' 20" Hotrock

Well, after posting a thread last month about kid bikes, here we went and bought a used one. This is a Specialized Hotrock. I guess you'd say "late model" since it's maybe a year or two before the Riprock came out. It was solid, but filthy. I've started cleaning and lubing it. I so far have taken the following notes. This was partly done with voice dictation so there may be some amusing typos I've missed.Hotrock notes

Weights

4.36 pounds suspension fork with crown race and brake posts, it has coil spring, steel stanchions and steerer

3.68 pounds frame with headset and derailleur hanger and rack bolt.

1.34 pounds steel handlebar

3.15 pounds front wheel assembly with tire (tire is 1.2 lb worn out Specialized Roller, tube 0.28 lb)

4.38 pounds rear wheel assembly with tire & free wheel

1.93 pounds alloy cranks and plastic pedals. 36t steel ring swaged onto drive side crank, plastic bash guard

0.82 pounds bottom bracket and bolts. The bottom bracket is a weird half and half thing, the fixed cup is a cartridge and the other side adjusts like old times

0.50 pounds tensioner/guide - just remove. Note this means the included BB is for 73 not 68

1.32 pounds derailleur and chain

1.50 pounds seat, post, and collar. Post is aluminum single bolt - not steel and topper as feared

2.67 pounds control levers and brake arms and cables, stem spacers and cap. The top of the race is a big steel thing weighing a few ounces and I don't know why.

Sum 25.65 lb

Spacing is 135. Head tube 1-1/8. Seat post is 27.2 mm diameter. BB shell 68mm. Kickstand plate included. Frame and fork both have provisions for both disk and V brakes, V included.

Cranks are 127 mm long. Bottom bracket is 118 square taper. Hubs have aluminum shells and nutted solid axles, crusty. Prior owner replaced drivetrain w Altus RD, 7 speed FW, trigger shifter, bypassing the chain guide. Rear brake replaced with a Tektro lever & arms. Lock on grips.

I planned to paint it and told kiddo to pick colors. He at first told me that he wanted it to be black on one side and green on the other side with pink in the back. I had a pretty cool plan for this in mind using spray.bike paint cans, but now he tells me he was just kidding. Ha, Ha, Ha. I think he’s pleased with how it looks now that I cleaned up the frame. I know I am. But I was really looking forward to trying the paint job.

The only immediate project is cleaning it up and making it run smoothly, new tires, new BB (Ali Express Ti), replacing the handlebar (Amazon carbon). I'm not sure what to do about the suspension fork, it is a typical cheap Suntour unit. Heavy AF and no damping but not likely to break down, way better than a Walmart bike. I'll probably just leave it unless one of the kids begins to exhibit shredding talent before they all three outgrow it. I hope the hubs are ok. Can the axles be replaced with hollow ones, if I buy a complete axle assembly? If so that's cheap and I can get Ti skewers, if not I have a nice 135 x 32h disc hub from the Box'O'Crap V6 that I could build a wheel on.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-23-20 at 04:51 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty: