View Single Post
Old 06-11-20, 05:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Some people really like leather saddles, and some hate them. I have been using leather saddles almost exclusively for decades.

After seeing several riders on brevets that had Brooks Cambium (non-leather) saddles that really liked them, I tried a couple of them and found them to be torture devices. I went back to leather.

A lot of people that tour on bikes that use leather saddles prefer the Brooks B17 (leather). But I find that the B17 does not work for me when I use the drops on my drop bars, I mostly use Brooks Conquest saddles (leather), that saddle shape is essentially the same as a Brooks Pro (leather) but the Conquest is sprung. The B17 is a bit wider and flatter than the Pro.

Leather saddles usually take some breaking in and maintenance. If you use a wet leather saddle before you have applied any leather treatment to it, it can ruin it. I like to get a new saddle mostly broken in before I apply any treatment to it, Brooks sells Proofide leather treatment. Once I get a saddle mostly broken in, I apply Proofide top and bottom. That is a good water repellent, but you still need a waterproof cover when riding in rain. If you do not have fenders, the bottom of the saddle can collect a lot of tire spray too. There is a reason bike racers decades ago that used leather saddles all wore black bike shorts, the leather stain in the saddle can transfer to the shorts. I apply additional Proofide to my saddles every other year or so, even though they are over a decade old and have been treated several times. Some riders are more weight conscious than others, a caution, a leather saddle is heavy and my sprung saddles are more heavy than non-sprung. This quick summary of issues on leather saddles are the highlights of what you would want to know if you try a leather saddle. If you try one, I suggest a non-sprung saddle. I like the sprung Conquests, but most riders prefer non-sprung saddles.

And a final note, a lot of people tried leather saddles and decided they do not work for them. I usually need about 500 miles of riding on a new leather saddle to get it mostly broken in. But some people that have tried a leather saddle long enough to break it in, still did not like them and switched back.

I am not sure how many miles I have on the saddle in the photo, but most of my tours have been on that one, photo was taken last summer during my five week tour in Canadian Maritimes. And yes, it was comfortable for all five weeks.