View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 06:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,888 Times in 6,091 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I might resemble that too. At least the cranky part. But if I see someone else up ahead, all my huffing and puffing pains get muted and I try to catch up or pass. That has to skew my data some with mind over body.

On a sailboat, there are no passengers. Everyone is crew. Likewise everyone on a bike is the competition, whether they are racing or not. <grin>
The presence of cyclists ahead often spoils the plan for a 'mostly Zone 2' ride.

Funny thing, though - I still have the expectations of someone less fit. That is, even though I've lost weight I'm still larger than most road cyclists, so I often roll up on people on downhill sections. Because I've also been slower than most, I avoid passing them so we don't start playing leapfrog on the next rise. But again and again recently, I find myself passing them on the rise because I want to go faster than they're going, and then I drop them. I'm not used to that.

I probably better not get used to it, either....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles