View Single Post
Old 11-12-20, 08:19 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
November's century has been in the works for awhile. Das Hugel is a ~110 mile tour of west Austin "Hill Country"; the route emphasizes the steepest hills in the area, with typical gradients between 10 and 20%. The overall elevation gain is around 11,000 feet. Having finished the ride last year, I hoped I could best my time by a bit.

Covid 19 changed the mood of the ride significantly; the event has always been 'underground', but now it was 'asynchronous' too. It was lonely, but I appreciated it after all; I focused on my pace and keeping my cadence high, and seeing through with my goal.

The Courtyard climb includes three challenging ramps -- even 4-6% grades are a relief. I stopped frequently to check the map and rearrange my cue sheet (taped gently to the top tube, and tucked tightly under the top-tube cables); paper has served me well for the number of turns the route takes. The finish was uneventful: waiting in Zilker Park, under the Mopac expressway, waiting for my ride home. Glad I followed through with it -- for the century-a-month, and for the Hugel -- hopefully the event recovers its following in a year or two.

I finished about a half an hour sooner than last year, but only with a 0.2mph faster moving average. Still, a personal victory.

Last edited by Bulette; 11-12-20 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For Bulette: