View Single Post
Old 01-05-21, 04:55 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I received my 50lb bag of maltodextrin along with the pink himalayan salt, magnesium citrate, and potassium chloride. This morning I made a couple bottles of the following: ~700ml water, 50g maltodextrin, 1/4 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/4 tsp. potassium chloride, and 1 tbsp. orange gatorade powder (for flavor). That mix (per 750ml bottle) will provide ~230 calories, ~57g of carbs, 660mg sodium, 210mg magnesium, 620mg potassium. Next time I'll probably substitute 1 or 2 packets of crystallized lemon for the Gatorade, but this morning all I had for flavor was the Gatorade. I also decided to go with 50g of maltodextrin (rather than 100g) because I'm planning to ride at low to medium intensity today, nothing too stressful. I was also curious to see how easily the maltodextrin mixed with water. With 50g of maltodextrin powder and ~700ml water it mixed very easily with no residue or grit. As for the taste, the salt hits your palate first followed by a little sweetness. It's not the most tasty drink, but it's not bad.

I was also curious to see how the maltodextrin mixed into a gel, so I put 50g into a bowl and mixed it with the following: 1/4 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/4 tsp. potassium chloride, ~2 tbsp. brewed coffee, ~2 tbsp. agave syrup, ~1 tbsp. honey, ~1 tsp. cocoa powder. In total I ended up with ~3 oz. of gel with a consistency that is slightly thinner than Gu. It doesn't taste great, but it's not bad for a first attempt. This mix per 1 oz. serving will provide ~125 calories, ~32g carbs, ~220mg sodium, ~70mg magnesium, 206mg potassium, and a little bit of caffeine.