Old 01-07-21, 03:07 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
New and (much) improved maltodextrin recipes for today...

Yesterday's gel was pretty aweful, so I went in a totally different direction. My new malto-honey-peanut butter gel is really tasty if you like that sweet and salty combo. Using a little less than 1/4 cup of water the recipe below yielded 4.5 oz. Each 1 oz. serving yields ~90 calories, ~19g carbs, ~74mg sodium, ~67mg potassium, ~46mg magnesium, ~1g protein.

Maltodextrin-Honey-PB + Electrolyte Gel: 50g maltodextrin, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, water

Yesterday's water bottle wat a little too salty for my taste so I bagged the Gatorade powder and reduced the pink salt and potassium chloride. The new mix per 750ml bottle yields ~190 calories, ~47g of carbs, ~295mg sodium, ~210mg magnesium, ~300mg potassium.

Maltodextrin + Electrolyte Drink: ~700 ml water, 50g maltodextrin, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, 1 packet of True Lemon

- At 30g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~6 hours
- At 60g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~3 hours
The new recipes are working out very well. Since I ran out of honey I substituted agave syrup in the gel recipe and I think I prefer it. It's a little less sweet than the honey. The nutritional value is (more or less) the same for clover honey and raw agave syrup, so they seem to be interchangable. I also like the malto-electrolyte drink with Tru Lemon and less sodium, less potassium chloride.