Old 01-08-21, 11:48 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 199 Posts
My CTL is about the same as yours from around June-September. After my last long ride of last season at the end of September, I started weight-lifting 3 days a week, with a few easy rides a week and my CTL dropped down to around 10. After Thanksgiving I started running and weight lifting 3 days a week with 2 endurance rides on the rollers and two days off. My CTL is back up to 35, and I'll steadily build that up to around 70 or so by the end of February. When it gets above freezing in March, I'll start doing longer rides outside and build up to around 100 or so by May so I'm in good shape for the bulk of the randonneuring season with a peak for a 1000k I have planned at the end of June. Then maintenance mode over the summer and ramp back down again in the Fall so I can do it again next year. Every year is a little different, but it's been something along those lines for the last 5 years or so. I turned 50 last year and find that planning for annual periodization helps a lot with overall fitness because I can spend a few months cross-training and motivation for the summer season. I would have a hard time staying motivated enough to maintain a 3-digit CTL all year long, especially since I don't like to ride indoors for more than 90 minutes or so. I may try to keep the weight lifting going all season this year for the first time, but I'll see how that goes. Only so many hours in the day.
Likes For kingston: