Old 01-27-21, 01:50 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The model you're thinking of is the "ONP". Although this frame has some similar features (lug and for crown shapes), I haven't seen an ONP with TT cable guides. The early-80's Professional/Ultimate had very similar details, too. It is certainly possible that the cable guides could have been added at a later date. I'm thinking strongly that this frame was repainted at some point in its life, too.

If the BB shell is stamped "NP", you have a legit ONP model. I have seen the ONP with Nishiki and SunTour dropouts. The Professional/Ultimate examples I've seen have all had Campagnolo dropouts. All of these frames were built with Tange Champion tubesets.
I think given there are no top tube cable guides this rules out a Nishiki Pro since I cant seem find one with cable guides either. I have however found that this might be a Nishiki Olympic? Which is supposed to be made out of Tange Infinity or Tange Champion? Know anything about it?

Dropouts dont have rando dimples. Seem to be similar style too.

Tange Champion? 1987 catalog says Tange Infinity

Top tube cable guides

Lug style matches

What do you think? Likely an Olympic? This is the closest I can get referencing photos from what I have researched. Only thing I cant match are the decals.

So this poses a new question. The seller has indicated the rear dropouts are 126mm. I read that this means I have to buy a 6 speed groupset since the newer ones wont fit. I am looking at a old Shimano 105 with Biopace chainring. Does old shimano 105 offer the clamp type downtube shifter you showed earlier? If not, would it be that bad for the bike to manhandle a 2005 Shimano 105 to fit? Some posts say 126 to 130mm is not that difficult to force fit.

Are the BB sizes the same? Is it worth upgrading BB's to something newer vs the vintage 6 speed sets or is there no performance difference?

Damn I really wanted to get a look like your ONP but when I looked up suntour parts they are quite expensive here (Suntour downtube shifter alone is 40 USD vs old 105 complete set for 15). I will probably upgrade to more vintage down the line since they are prettier to me than the newer groupsets.