cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
But the real changes are marginal and certainly aren't fundamental changes to age old model.

Sure, we're doing a bit better at controlling some of the more hideous aspects of poorly planned growth than we were 40 years ago, but not in any way that will radically alter the landscape in the foreseeable future.

I don't think making cities larger is really the answer. And they will continue to grow more out than up as urbanization if fine for youth but they're going to move out as they breed. I'd prefer to see the small towns revived and increased in size by manageable degrees. Linked to larger cities by high speed rail. Technology has changed what we need in our living arrangements and I think we should start planning for that rather than just rearranging what we've been doing for centuries. But as I said, on reflection I realize that isn't going to happen. We are just going to keep doing the same thing. So you're probably correct that we should just cheer when we do it a bit better.
As I've said before, old-style small towns were a form of density - everybody lived just off main street and your 4 year old could run to the corner store with a nickel to get your newspaper, but now even they have massive sprawl and everyone drives everywhere. An updated version of walkable nodes distributed along rail lines would be the most efficient use of space - everybody who wanted to could live close to nature and also have ready access to urban amenities.