Old 02-15-19, 10:47 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I have a Trek Checkpoint SL that I had built up from a frameset. Beautiful bike equipped just the way I want it. I've put about 730 miles on the bike. I've been a gravel rider for six years and I've ridden aluminum (Niner RLT9) and titanium (Salsa Warbird, Lynskey custom) gravel bikes in the past. The Checkpoint is my first carbon gravel bike. Here are my thoughts . . .
  • I don't think the fact that the Checkpoint frame is made of carbon is that much of a benefit. Maybe it would be over the course of 200 miles, but for anything less than 150, it just doesn't matter that much.
  • The Checkpoint is not a light bike. Carbon doesn't make it lighter. It weighs about the same as my old aluminum and titanium bikes did.
  • The Checkpoint's Isospeed decoupler doesn't impress me. It smooths out the rough stuff, but it also eliminates stiffness in the seatpost. I'm accustomed to using leverage against the saddle when sprinting or climbing hard while seated. That doesn't work with the rear Isospeed. Plus, on smoother roads, I find the Isospeed's constant bobbing to be both noticeable and annoying.
  • Then, there's the tire clearance issue. Let me say that, with the wheelbase adjusted on the long end of its travel, there are no clearance issues for 42mm tires. BUT . . . I suspect the new clearance spec is because IF you have the wheelbase adjusted short (for "sporty" handling) AND you have big tires mounted AND you hit a big bump, the rear Isospeed / seat tube could flex enough to make contact with the rear tire. That could be unsettling / dangerous on a fast descent and pretty annoying no matter the circumstance. (I've never liked my wheels to lock up without warning, even for just a second.)
  • If you like to mount anything to your seat post, forget it. The Checkpoint's seat mast is relatively huge. No normal seatpost mount (other than big rubber bands) will work.
  • On the other hand, the Checkpoint has all the mounts and bosses you could possibly desire. It's a cargo carrying machine.
  • And it's a really nice bike for rough chipseal and unmaintained pavement (built up with a shock absorbing stem). I could see it being the perfect commuter bike, so long as you kept the wheelbase adjusted long.
  • The Checkpoint is a great long-haul utilitarian bike. It's no racer. It feels heavy. Even at the same weight as my older metal bikes, the Checkpoint FEELS heavier.
Bottom line: Do I like the bike? Yes. Would I buy it if I had the choice to do it all again? Absolutely not. What WOULD I go with? Well . . . has Salsa cured their Warbird v4 fork problems yet?
Great feedback. Thanks!