Thread: '83 Trek 700
View Single Post
Old 07-28-19, 02:32 PM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
So, I just finished 22 miles. First impression on that ride is that it's probably one of more comfortable bikes that I have. I believe that I would have to contribute that to the Reynolds 531C. The frame's geometry isn't that much different than my other bikes, unless I'm mistaken on what a cm or a half of a degree will do to a bike's ride. The wheelbase is is slightly longer at 101cm with longer chain stays than the other bikes. The head and seat tube angles are right in the middle of the other bikes which range from 73 to 74 degrees. With new grease and a waxed chain, the bike didn't make any noise other than my mis-shifts and adjustments of the derailleurs. The friction shifting was a blast. So, simple and easy to adjust out. The gearing is tall but do-able given my road conditions. If I can give the quads time to match the gearing, the bike should fly. Long or steep hills could potentially be a challenge with the last cog being a 21, but I don't have a lot of those around here. The one set of water bottle bosses / one bottle on a ride could be a challenge on longer rides given the heat and humidity here on the Gulf coast. Since its been a while, I need to jump back on the Centurion and compare back to back rides with the 700. But, all things considered, I've got to say Trek can build (or could build - since I haven't ridden a modern Trek) a bike.

sd578... I don't think I'll change out the tires at this time. I'll leave the old Specialized Pros on the bike to save a little coin and I like the look of the black tires. I think it makes the bike look "bad" and faster. While I love the older bikes, there are a few modern things I like to keep instead of going all C&V: the clipless pedals, the Vitesse saddle which I found to be the most comfortable for my tush (I have the same saddle on all my bikes).

Last edited by Triplecrank92; 08-23-19 at 05:11 AM.