View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 07:01 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Lotus Super Pro Aero ~ Rare Find

We've all said it in the past, "no more bikes!" Yet we all know how addictive this hobby is and how easy it is to be bitten--- again, and again, and again!

It happened to me last night when I went to NH-CL in search of something not bike related. However, my bookmark is for the "Bikes for Sale" page. Right at the top, just posted in the past 1/2 hour or so was the listing for a 60cm Lotus Super Pro Aero. That's my size so I clicked on the listing. The description was very brief and there were only two pictures, the full bike and a closeup of the drive side crank arm. Not much to go on.

So I did a bit of searching and quickly read this was a rare bike on the Vintage Lotus website. They came equipped with Shimano Dura Ace AX components and were fillet brazed Tange Aero tubing. I felt it was worth pursuing especially for the $250 listed price. A few emails later I had a time scheduled to see it this afternoon and it came home.

It is pictured as found with absolutely no cleaning, dusting nor polish. The shoes (my size) were included as well as the Cannondale tubular sock with spare Clement tubular, inner tube, unusual tire irons and spare change (dated in the late '60s to 1984). It is a beauty, yet does not match up with the specs completely.

The Turbo saddle, the rims (rear was replaced in the past 10-15 years ago) crankset, pedals and bars are not what is described in the specs listed on the Lotus site. But I believe I know the reason why.

The original owner, who sold it to me, was a professional racer (he was on the 1984 US Olympic Cycle Team, competed in the Giro, and was sponsored by Lotus and Shimano), and could probably have ordered what he wanted. He told me he won two races on this bike, including the Pine State (NC) Triathlon. He also told me he placed third in the Hawaii Ironman one year.

The owner is in his 70s and his wife is battling cancer. He was quite emotional about selling his "favorite bike" and I didn't want to press him for details such as dates, etc. He promised to share more with me later, and I'll pass this along.

However, the hubs, stem, headset, seatpost, derailleurs, shifters (friction), brake calipers and levers (wrong replacement hoods) are all Dura Ace AX! And for the most part appear to be in good to great shape.

I'm guessing at this point it is a 1983 because the rear hub is DA-AX UG 7 speed cassette. Comments, insights and other thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 10-16-19 at 05:33 AM.