Old 03-10-16, 10:20 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Wow, I've never biked below the high 20sF. What kind of gloves and face-covering do you use?
I had to think about it for a second, I made a mistake. At 24 F I switch to mittens. I always carry enough clothing and have enough space to change my hand coverings and add or subtract layers of clothing. I wear two fleece head covers (balaklava?) One of them has nice wind proof panels facing forward.

I also have a neck gaiter over the head covers. It's like a round tube of fleece, and it stretches well. The benefit of the gaiter is, I can pull it down to take a drink or get more air on a big climb,and also pull it up just under my nose in the high twenties. When it gets below 20 I pull it up under my glasses a little to cover my nose. It has a little curve that lets the middle cover my nose, and then it drops down a little on each side where my eyes are. Also when stopping I need to pull it down below my mouth to keep my glasses from fogging. It's far more adjustable than any head covers or face masks. It's really a key to riding in changing temperatures. There are other round tube style neck and head covers that don't work well. It needs to be just right. Also the collars on my jackets are all covered by my head covers to seal against the cold.