View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 04:04 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Where I live and ride motorists are courteous and share the road. I don't know why the cycling environment here is different than other areas. I've given this some thought to this but have no clear conclusion. One possibility is that the local bike club, Narragansett Bay Wheelmen has been around for over 100 years and has been advocating for cyclists for most of that time. The club has a very good relationship with local law enforcement as well as state highway departments in Rhode Island and nearby southern Massachusettt.

Club rides typically draw 70 or 100 riders and when a ride begins at a populous area, the club asks the local police force to be present for traffic control at that start. There are typically three waves, with faster riders going first and slower riders following in two waves. This spreads everyone out so that auto traffic is minimally impeded.

The State of Rhode Island, (and Providence Plantation) to give it it's full name, publishes a map for cyclists, easily available at bike shops for free, showing the best bike routes throughout the state and even showing the hillier routes. All this taken as a whole and over extended periods of time, I believe has the effect of raising awareness of cycling, It is my further opinion that joining a bike club is one of the best ways to promote cycling awareness, especially if the club is actively engaged in the community, as my club is in raising funds for worthy causes.
Likes For berner: