Old 08-22-19, 06:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why Expensive Commuter bikes?
Originally Posted by gammy13
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Anyone have thoughts? Who's buying these things?
Originally Posted by tcs
If you have secure parking @ work, why not have a nice bike if you've got a jones for one?
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why not? People buy what they want for their personal reasons…

More power to you if you can afford a custom Engin ti solely for commuting. The frame alone (sans fork) was probably over $4K.
I have an $8K Specialized S-Works (bought half off) that I use for a one-way 14 mile commute on the mean streets of Boston, with secure parking @ work. I bought it after a severe cycling accident.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Do you tell strangers how much your bike costs?"...

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption.

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.
Originally Posted by Rowan
… Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.
Likes For Jim from Boston: