Old 02-20-20, 07:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by abaez
I was set on a Warbird but when I compare the Salsa Warbird GRX600 vs Jamis Renegade C2 GRX600 (sorry I can't post urls yet) I'm struggling to see what the extra $600 gets you with the Salsa. Components and geometry are almost exactly the same and the only real differences I see is that the Salsa has a few more mounting points and weighs 8oz lighter. When you compare the GRX600 Warbird to the Renegade Elite, you're getting Ultegra and a 2.5 pound lighter bike for $200 less than the Salsa.

Is Jamis just not a recommended brand or is there something else that I'm missing?
Is the geometry the same between the two bikes and is it what you like? Example- a fast twitchy steering bike with high bottom bracket where you sit 'on' the bike isnt ideal if you want a slow stable steering bike with a low bottom bracket where you sit 'in' the bike. Neither is right or wrong, but there are a lot of geometry options for a reason- everyone likes something a little different(designers and users).
If the Jamis is a screaming deal, but not the style of geometry you want- is it a great value?
If the Salsa is priced high, but fits your style of riding- is it overpriced?

Jamis is a long established and reputable secondary brand. Secondary isnt a bad word, as Salsa is a secondary brand in my mind too. The Renegade series is a few generations into design and production and Jamis has continually tweaked the model to fit changes and trends. There is a really long thread on here about Renegades- its worth a look. https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...de-owners.html
Most everyone who has one loves em...and the small minority that dislikes the bike has had a questionable reason the few times Ive read it(pretty sure they are misidentifying their dislike).
If the Renegade had more tire clearance, it may attract a few more potential buyers, but it seems to have plenty of clearance for most people's gravel road needs.

I also wouldnt say Salsa is more reputable than Jamis(or worse). All brands have quality control issues from time to time and Salsa recently had a major one with their forks. Warbird and Vaya forks were recalled a year ago- https://floridacyclinglaw.com/blog/a...d-for-4th-time
Salsa definitely isnt a brand that I would call 'value'. Neither is its sister company, All City. The brands are owned by products distribution giant, QBP and while the QBP brands are trendmakers, neither is the a low price leader. There are some All City bikes that can be built up cheaper and nicer by buying the frame and parts individually, compared to buying fully built from a shop. Salsa is just a longstanding name in alt-road riding and has a lot of access into shops all over the country since all a shop needs is a QBP account to order the brand.
Likes For mstateglfr: