Old 07-18-16, 03:13 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilGunton
There have been discussions about e-bikes on the crazyguyonabike forums. I don't automatically shut them down, but I do generally re-state my policy that e-bike journals are not permitted on the site. I don't see that I'm being inconsistent here, by arguing the same position. As to why I'm here on bikeforums, I thought you were all in favor of inclusiveness? Or does that inclusiveness only cover people who agree with you? You can't have it both ways, you know.

But hypocrisy aside, why I am here is because I am interested in bicycle touring, obviously, and I saw an interesting discussion developing, one which I have opinions on, and I saw that certain viewpoints were perhaps not being represented. I felt a need to say something, so I said it. A forum is a place for discussion, and here on bikeforums, it is still a point of contention as to whether or not e-bikes have a place here. I am not trying to shape the whole internet to my liking, I'm just expressing a viewpoint, as are you. The fact that I run another bicycle touring website is neither here nor there - on bikeforums, my view carries no more or less weight than yours, and I fully accept that. On my own website I have already made certain choices about what I allow, and the mods here will make their choices, and in the meantime the forum is a place where such things can be discussed... what's the problem? I think I've earned the right to be regarded as posting "in good faith" and not trolling, so you can't throw that one at me. It's a forum. I'm foruming, to coin a phrase.

Neil
I believe you do have a right to discuss E bike touring here so I am not trying to silence you or only have my opinion heard. That is inclusiveness. My point is that you have faced that question on your own site and fallen in favour of not allowing discussion. I guess I just don't see, if you believe there is no place for such discussions on bike touring forums you are here having the discussion. That is the hypocrisy. Saying you favour some types of discussions but not others speaks to how much one control over content one wishes to exert on a community. If it's just one voice one vote, then that control should be minimal.

If I were in the same position I think I would maintain my decision and just not discuss E bikes in bike touring forums. I would be in luck because I would belong to a forum that reflects my POV (seeing that I control the content).

However, this is my community and we are facing this issue here so I am voicing my opinions here because the outcome will effect my community. I will not try to push a decision one way or the other and then leave the community to go back to another and not face the results I have had a part in creating.

But yes, you are allowed here, and you are allowed to voice your POV, and I hope E bike riders are also allowed here to enjoy the same freedom you both deny others and adopt for yourself concurrently.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-18-16 at 03:18 PM.