Old 10-16-19, 10:22 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
If you haven't found it yet, there is a Facebook Group "Bike Touring Americas: Alaska to Patagonia"

Participants in the group include a number of people also currently on tour. So I found it useful in the sorts of questions like "anyone have difficulties crossing border between Peru/Bolivia" or "what is the latest on roads in Bolivia altiplano". It seems to replace an earlier email list that went dormant.

On the topic of security, I agree with taking fears of those who have never been with a grain of salt.

During my 18 months and 15 countries, I didn't have cause for concern - and if anything would be at least as concerned about traffic as anything else. What I did do before I left is read probably 100 different blog accounts as well as at least half a dozen books. I also browsed the email list and facebook list for any accounts as well. Most everyone was fine, but there were a few incidents reported. Anything from a bicycle stolen in Portland USA to a notorious spot in northern Peru people mostly avoided. There was a certain amount of just happening to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Overall, it was much more overweighed by accounts pointing out concerns were overblown.

I didn't do anything specific with my incident list but kept a mental note of a few hot spots. I am normally cautious, but I would be slightly more cautious in those hot spots (typically not an entire country but more particular areas). For example, here was my account of one such spot in Peru - Trujillo - A bicycle ride across the Americas In that case, I chose to bicycle through in the morning, keep my camera stashed away and not camp next to the road. But overall, didn't notice anything and best I can tell nobody has reported from that hot spot since 2014.
Likes For mev: