Old 09-21-17, 09:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I am examining the Workswell 093 with a 105 build kit and reasonably lightweight custom wheels ... plenty of wheels out there under 1600 grams (rims brakes, clinchers) for around $400. Figure $400-$600 for the frame, 28-mm Contis, cheap CF bars and stem, bought a Specialized Toupe saddle on closeout for like $30 .... A brand new 105 kit from one of the UK retailers can be had for about $400 right now. Figure $1500 for a 16-18 lb bike ....

I shop Ebay and a lot of online retailers each day, just going through their closeout and sales pages. I miss some great stuff by being five minutes too late, (like a half-price Vuelta disc wheel set --I was steaming I missed that by five minutes) but I also pick up some great deals on stuff I know I will need later.

I won't even order the frame for a month maybe, and I have already been shopping for a month.

As for components ... I usually use Vuelta wheels, but both Performance and Nashbar have some beautiful Reynolds wheels on sale, and Performance and one other place has some Stan's grail wheels .... just keep an eye open and when the price and features align, pull the trigger. if you can afford $500, there are some custom wheelbuilders who can hook you up. Again, budget usually determines what you wend up with. if your budget is unlimited ... hire someone to make you a one-off CF frame.

You can use any cables but I like Ultegra outers .. a set of shifter cables is like $22 but they have an extra inner lining and seem extra smooth .... Otherwise, I bought a box of cables wholesale. It might last me 20 years ... I am okay if I last that long.

Stems, seat posts, and bars are always on sale somewhere. Just wait until you see that sweet deal. $30 on EBay will get you all kinds of stuff with a few hundred miles on it, selling for a sixth of retail.

I got some new Cotelo Expresso clone pedals for $70 ... 165 grams per Pair. You can buy real Expresso 2s for about $55 ... I love the pedals, and they tend to be lighter than Shimano at every price point ... and very easy to enter/exit (which, for a clipfall kind of guy .... )

Cages and lights ... I look for whatever is cheap on EBay. Bought some CREE flashlights for $6 ... another dollar for a rubber mount, and they are brighter than my Light and Motion Urban 500.

For me, shopping is an exciting portion of each day ... Will today be the day I score that crankset with less than 100 miles? Will I find the guy who decided to trade Shimano for Campy and is dumping his take-offs cheap?

Also ... I got really good at ready geometry charts and learning from my existing bikes what will fit and how. It is always a little iffy, but the more you work at it the better you get at it.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you can't decide what components or even what frame you want, you will be better off picking something you like from your LBS.
If the process of choosing a frame and components isn't turning you on ... buy a built-up bike. Honestly, you can probably get as good a bike cheaper by buying from a dealer. What you get by building your own is ... building your own. if that whole process doesn't do it for you, you are playing the wrong sport.

Have you made a list of the features you want? A list of your dimensions and your existing bikes' dimensions? Have you made a list of the various parts you will need? Have you determined a budget?

I start out figuring what i want to do with the bike or what kind of bike I want ... I decide what components it will need based on its intended use .... I choose from the available components of that kind based on price and availability ... meanwhile I concoct various color schemes (stealing much from the internet) And start picturing what the finished bike while look like and how I want it to ride.

If all this doesn't excite you, buy something off the shelf. or .... wait a few months. If the urge reignites, start over. if not, .... maybe you have enough bikes for now and need to ride more.

The only reason I decided to allow myself a new bike is because I took one out of rotation and made it a dedicated trainer bike. Maybe you have enough bikes for now, and if you just ride more, you will realize whether you really want another one, and if so, what you want it to do, which should motivate the choosing process.

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-21-17 at 09:33 PM.