Old 09-23-17, 09:33 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
In a quick review, I don't see any substantial difference between this $1500 bike and a $2000 Trek Domane SL5 other than the fact that the Kestral has a lot of "Oval Concepts" (never heard of them) whereas the Trek has full Shimano 105 groupset, and the Kestrel has an11/28 cassette whereas the Domane has an 11-32 (which I desperately need). Would I pay an extra $500 for a bike with a long heritage and large support system, not to mention an industry-only front/rear frame isolation system for a smoother rider? Well, I did. And I don't regret it. In the least.
I could really use an 11/32 cassette as well. I do like the 50 tooth chainring, it should prove really useful. I dig your thoughts about Trek, and their customer support. I have been there with the entry level 1.1. A great bike that needed attention right off the bat thanks to a POS bottom line FSA crankset. The guys at the store went above and beyond, replacing the bent abomination with an actual Shimano piece right before my eyes.

My thoughts on the soon to arrive Kestral is that it's a bike which I could not otherwise afford. I'm an older guy looking for speed and performance- comfort too as much as it pains me to say it- on a budget, and yes, it's a hell of a looker too! I will share my thoughts on the Oval Concepts parts after putting it together and giving it a workout on the road, where it counts.

Last edited by Motolegs; 09-23-17 at 10:08 PM.