View Single Post
Old 08-17-19, 05:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Second time I did spend $40,but I suppose that wasn't enough to be considered a customer.

Ok,I am a newby but you tell me, do gears wear out before a set of brake pads. The pads were the original set but apparently both my chain and gears needed replaced. I asked the guy why my gears would be worn out and his reply was because of all the hills we have here. I guess mountain bike gears only last on flat ground.
This is a bike you bought used, right? So you really don't know how it has been ridden or how much. It's possible that the chain was worn out well before the brake pads, and a worn chain will wreck the gears. It's very easy to check this yourself. Invest in a Park Tool chain checker or google how to check bicycle chain wear with a ruler.
Newbies are often surprised by how fast chains wear out so I wouldn't assume they were lying about this, but it's very easy to find out either way.

I'm not defending them, btw, just answering the question you asked.