View Single Post
Old 02-07-20, 08:54 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
We have a Hase Pino tandem. It's configured a bit different than a traditional tandem. The captain with steering, shifting and braking control, is in an upright position in the rear while the stoker is in a recumbent seat up front. The stoker also has the option of not pedaling (not really independent pedaling as if the stoker pedals, the captain has to pedal). Our heads are closer together, which makes communication easier. The Pino is not as fast as a traditional upright tandem, but since we're together and generally don't do group rides, that's fine for us even though I occasionally long for a faster ride. My riding partner up front can take pictures, navigate, read, etc... as the recumbent position allows for secure hands-free riding. We've toured on our Pino along the Oregon coast, in Alaska, extensively in the Mid-Atlantic region and rented a Pino for a tour in France. It's certainly not a bike for everyone and it's not an inexpensive entry point into tandems. The picture is of our Pino mounted on the back of my truck. I could have reduced the overall length by collapsing the boom at the front of the bike but since the length of the bike doesn't exceed the width of the mirrors on the truck I didn't bother. The frame is separable (joint is just behind the stoker seat) which facilitates transport inside much smaller vehicles. The Bilenky Viewpoint, Circe Morpheus and TW Bents Family Tandem have similar seating configurations.

Likes For honcho: