Old 09-01-20, 10:48 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I used them in the pre-tubless days when I had a long, lonely, commute and knew for certain that my fingers would lose function in the cold before I could change a tube, but I could also complain about their heart-stopping tendency to let go on corners.
Gatorskins have a really hard compound, the opposite of what you want in cold conditions. Something like the GP4S or Michelin Power All Season probably would serve better in your situation. Similar if not same durability but a softer compound.

I used to be a champion of Gators, back when I was mainly commuting (good weather) and going on short, slow, solo rides. But it makes almost no sense to use them if you ride for fun in a group within civilization. They totally disincentivize aggressive riding. You can’t corner hard, you can’t throw your bike around, and you can’t run them at comfortable pressures for long rides. Plus you’re at a distinct disadvantage compared to your “competition” in a group. I facepalm when I see a $10,000 bike fitted with Gators.

I do wish there were tires as durable as the Gator but with a race compound. Anyone know any?

Last edited by smashndash; 09-01-20 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For smashndash: