View Single Post
Old 09-01-20, 12:41 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the rental Bianchi Infinito I rented for the 2018 Levi's Gran Fondo was fitted with Gatorskins - I remember asking the shop about the tires, and they were adamant that rentals could only go out on the puncture resistant tires that were mounted. I was doing the metric century route (Medio), and the 8am start was in the 50s (Fahrenheit), meaning that the beautiful Sonoma roads were still damp and dewey. About 12 miles in (or thereabouts), the group hits the first climb - not steep, but definitely enough to feel it - Strava tells me 3 miles at 3%. The other side of the climb is a descent into Occidental with a handful of sweeping turns. The Infinito was fine going up the hill, but going back down... yikes. I let the bike gain speed after cresting the climb, and I add brake pressure as I approach the first bend in the road - locking up both wheels. I had never locked up my tires on my own bike before (on Vittoria Rubinos), so this was terrifying.

Did the same ride in 2019, on my personal Bianchi on Rubinos, and had no trouble avoiding lockups.

I'm pretty sure I'd try tubeless and sealant before I try Gatorskins again - at least, on anything aside from warm, dry, and flat roads.