01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
The simple answer is no.

A automotive charging station is not a "charger" although they are often wrongly referred to as one. The actual charger unit is in the car. Nor are they just a simple AC outlet. They have internal electronics that communicate with the on-board vehicle systems to verify the connection before turning on power and to negotiate the charging rate which varies from car to car. Certain safety protocols are also built in to both the car and the charging station.

However, I assume some clever hacker could probably come up with a circuit and adaptors to fool the station into providing power, but I wonder it it would be worth the effort.

Although many electric cars are set up to accommodate fast charging, a typical ebike battery is not. They are usually limited to charge rates under 5 amps, with 2 -3 amp as the normal rate. Hopefully, the battery management system would prevent a higher rate that would damage the battery. I'm sure there are 12V DC to 110V AC inverters available that could power your charger, but no faster than at home.
Yes I'm sure an adapter could be made but I imagine that the part that plugs into the charging station would have to be quite big. Likely not something that there would be a big demand for so no surprise there. Looking forward would be nice if in the future there would also be charging stations designed for ebikes. I'm thinking something that had a universal plug that would adapt and charge whatever ebike battery it was plugged into. It's doable but likely I won't see it in my lifetime.

You are also right that current ebike batteries aren't really setup for fast charging. However in the future this might change. Already certain types of Li-ion cells can be fast charged so I figure that sooner or later someone will design the ebike batteries ( and charger ) so that the user can choose to fast charge. Currently the charger for my Shimano ebike battery is set at 3.1A. That seems like a fairly low rate considering the number of cells that must be held within the housing. As I consider this it's no wonder that it takes quite a while for the battery to charge even if the battery is only halfway depleted.