View Single Post
Old 08-06-17, 06:52 AM
ellsworth3500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my 2018 Diverge Comp Carbon (satin blue matte) Friday afternoon and yesterday did the 50 mile leg of the Bike to the Beat in Appleton, WI. I cannot even begin to describe how much I love this bike. Most roads here in NE WI leave a lot to be desired, and I was tired of the hard hits and the inability to continue on when the pavement ends, so I researched gravel bikes after a group ride where one of our regular riders switched a Specialized cylcecross bike and was ranting and raving about the comfort compared to her road bike. This was the epifaunal moment for me, as I already had the itch for a new bike. My previous road bike was a 2011 Felt F Series aluminum frame/carbon fork with 6800 series Ultegra and 23c tires. The Diverge is about 3 lbs heavier at 21.8 lbs for the 61 frame compared to the Felt (this includes pedals). I ride with this group regularly, so it would be pretty easy to tell if the heavier bike with larger tires (38c Triggers) would slow me down. I can tell you it cost me nothing as far as speed and pace, and this was by far the most comfortable I've ever been on a "road bike". The S-works seat post and Future Shock smoothed the bumps out considerably. I'm excited to try this out on some of the camp roads and gravel trails in the area. If you are considering the Diverge as a road bike replacement, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. And if you are riding with your roadie buddies, you can always create some angst by hopping a curb or going across the occasional ditch to beat them to the rest stop!