Old 01-12-20, 05:57 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
How to route brake cable in Raleigh mixte?

Picked up an '80 Raleigh Super Record (one step below the Grand Prix) mixte at the swap yesterday. Bike is complete, except for the brake cables and housings. Trying to figure out how the rear was routed.

The bike has Raleigh-branded DiaCompe center pull brakes. There's a bridge a few inches aft of the head tube, with and adjuster barrel installed. Then another bridge a few inches forward of the seat tube, with a rectangular hole in the middle. Then a built-up set of bridgework linking the seat tube to the mixte stays, and finally the brake bridge itself. Brake is mounted to the underside of the brake bridge. It contains a long straddle that goes around the seat tube. Fortunately the yoke is still present. I've seen mixtes with rear calipers mounted both ways (above and below the stays), but from a few photos I've seen of this vintage and model, I think it's had the underside mount all along.

Excuse the pics; bike is "swap fresh", in need of some loving.

So obviously it takes a piece of housing from the lever to the adjuster on the first bridge. But if I run it without housing through that slot/hole in the second bridge, it would change direction going down to the yoke, and would rub on the edge of the hole. So should the un-housed part of the cable just go directly from the adjuster to the yoke?

All the photos I can find of this vintage and model of the bike are "full-body" shots, with no detail of the area in question.

One thing I considered was to run that "inner" type tubing over the cable core from the adjuster to the yoke, to help it pass through that slot. But then, maybe the slot is not supposed to be in the equation at all.

Oh, something just came to mind -- might there have been something mounted to that slot in the second bridge, that supports/guides the cable core in that span? Again, not finding any pics that show enough detail of that part of the bike.

Any intel from anyone who's owned or wrenched on one of these, or something similar, would be greatly appreciated.