Old 05-05-17, 07:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by mjrLV
After looking at the gear ratios again....I'm having second thoughts on the Praxis, as the difference (improvements) over my current 50/34 do seem minimal.
Yeah, it buys you about 1/2 a gear increment. I kind of wanted to get the Praxis since they are based in the same zip code I am, but I didn't think a 32 was significant. I can get a bigger gain by changing tires.

Considering the 40/60 White Industries now.
@wgscott have you noticed anything different with the Q factor of the WI, over your previous Ultegra? I had the same question for Matt regarding his Praxis. I'm asking because my feet overpronate outwards, and I've had to get longer spindles for my Speedplays for instance, so it's always something I consider.

Thanks!
The Q-factor is larger, but it hasn't been a significant issue for me. However, I also over-pronate. (I got a lecture on it from my ankle surgeon, as if I was making some sort of morally delinquent lifestyle choice). My right foot also points outward about 10 degrees, and as a consequence, I get a right heal strike occasionally at the center of the crank. This did not happen with the Shimano Ultegra crank (or my Campy Athena triple for that matter), or if it did, I never felt it because the profile of the Shimano Ultegra crank-arm is so smoothly rounded/tapered off.

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would try the Sugino OX901D, primarily because I am not in love with the idea of having had to go back to square taper (and it would have been significantly cheaper). In addition, I was under the impression that the Sugino OX901D has a slightly smaller Q-factor than the Shimano Ultegra crank. (Double-check that, but I am pretty sure it is right.)

In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to keep my Ultegra crank and throw my Di2 Ultegra derailleurs in the trash can, purchase and install XT Di2 derailleurs, and whatever honking huge cassette I could find to go with that.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-05-17 at 07:31 PM. Reason: more ranting and raving