Old 01-23-19, 11:21 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
winter base layers

Originally Posted by noglider
When I keep cotton off my skin, then my sweat doesn't make me cold. See if you have any cotton in the garments you're wearing. Is it possible the synthetic sports bra keeps your sweat on. Crazy idea from a guy who's never worn a bra (except once while in drag), can you wear a merino shirt under the bra? At least as an experiment?

I bought a pair of those 4ucycling pants. I wore them over my pants. They were way too hot. I might use them for extreme cold, the kind we don't normally get here. Sweat wasn't a problem, and I guess it would be dumb to wear them against my skin.
No cotton garments. Was wearing synthetic only. They wick for me, but I can still feel the damp. Was in Costco last weekend. Don't normally look at their clothing offerings, but low and behold, they had ladies 100% merino wool long sleeved tshirts for $16. Picked one up as a test. Already had scored some merino wool base layer leggings. So, went out in -9 actual (-27 windchill) as an hour long test ride when I got home. No damp feeling at all....success!

Last night's fat bike group ride, again, with the wool base layers. I did layer a UA cold gear top over the wool one, and that seemed to work fine as well. Apparently, wool next to the skin works better for me...synthetics over it seems to work fine. I also coincidentally used the 4ucycling pants on each of these rides, and when paired with the wool layer in between the bike shorts, and the 4ucycling top layer...no issues. Like them just fine now. They zip over the Lake boots nicely, so that's a nice touch too. Will probably need to get some lighter weight wool leggings to account for warmer weather soon...though I see highs of below 0 for several more days.....