Old 03-22-24, 04:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
ridethecliche You may want to consider Zwift racing. My wife is doing quite a bit and likes it a lot. And I am doing more on Zwift including structured workouts and endurance as well as meet ups. When I get my endurance back, I will start racing Zwift as well.

I am not throwing outdoor real racing under the bus just saying that Zwift offers a lot with less time commitment and cost (driving to and from races plus fees) and less risky.
I find Zwift racing pretty rewarding. I think part of it is that it's easier, because it's related to my actual strength/fitness rather than my category. On Zwift I'm a D, because I'm a 2.5 w/kg FTP person. In real life that's a huge limiter, and in fact I don't think I've finished a proper race for a few years (track and a half-way-through-the-crit-finish notwithstanding).

Also, there's very little skin in the game, so I can race whenever I want, within reason. Can't do the 8pm? I can do the 9pm. Can't do the 9pm? I can do the Big Spin ride at 9:15pm. etc etc. I even did some of the long Epic races for my long rides (two of them took me 3 hours to finish). And in Zwift I can be a hero and actually take a pull or chase a bit, where in real life that's not possible.

For the most organized racing, the ZTRL racing league is great. As a D racer I'm shelled in most of the races, but I can get points for segments (like a points race for the uninitiated).
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: