Old 05-16-19, 04:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your correction is incorrect; the threads are right handed for both axle nuts for Sturmey-Archer IGH's at least for the three, four and five speeds. Livedarklions is correct, the threads are some odd English size; I believe it might be Whitworth.

Also the S-A left nut thread material is significantly softer than the S-A axle material and will easily strip if over-tightened. The Right hand nut as shown on the previous picture is made of a harder material and does not strip threads as easily as the left. I used to use the right hand nut (with the indicator chain window) on both sides to assure that the wheel would stay in place. Sometimes I had to add extra washers because the right hand nut can not always be fastened all the way down to the bicycle frame because it is necked down at the one end.
I think the point of the discussion is about finding the right nut. The nut is a Whitworth thread and cut at 55* instead of 60* like most standard US and current British and Japanese threaded systems. Every nut and inner race body of the system used those special threaded parts. You could try and find a three dollar nut at Lowes or home Depot, but it would be the wrong thread cut for the job. Sometimes just the knowledge that you need the OEM parts is part of the equation when comparing prices. This discussion could be held in the Vintage section of this forum. However I doubt there are enough of we mechanics who remember how to rebuild these hubs that it matters. Smiles, MH