Old 05-17-19, 08:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You just made my point PERFECTLY! Thanks! I am soooooo happy to be away from the bike biz.

$8.88 + 2.65 shipping. Go buy one at Home Depot for 50 cents, I dare you.
And I'd spend all day driving around to a dozen different bike shops, and not a single one would have that in stock. Even if one did for $3, I'd rather pay the $10 to know it is coming in a couple days instead of hearing a pile of NOs and ordering it anyways.

Originally Posted by greatscott
Ok, $3 for an odd ball nut isn't to bad out of line; these companies that make that stuff is simply grabbing cyclists by the balls and squeezing because they can. It doesn't cost anything more to make a LH nut as it does a RH nut, but it's different and it's for bicycles so lets burn people for it.
It actually does cost more. You are correct the tooling, materials, and labor cost the same, but you are using the tooling far less frequently than the tooling for the RH thread, meaning the amortized cost onto each part must be higher. Couple that with shutting down production, switching over the line, and starting it up for a limited run of LH thread nuts also costs money.

You'll quickly find anything outside the norm in the fastener world costs money, and lots of it.