View Single Post
Old 12-10-19, 12:22 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Weather for Hillsboro for that time was reported as mid-40s with occasional showers. As CliffordK notes, 10th is super-busy (it's other name is the Tualatin Valley (TV) Hwy.) and two lanes each way, plus, two bike lanes. Cedar St. does not have a light with 10th--it is just a stop sign. I'm wondering if he got impatient waiting there for a break in the traffic and decided to just go for it. The driver was not felt to be either speeding or intoxicated and she was not apparently cited. As someone noted, those trikes are popular now among some of the homeless population. In my town, I have never seen one wearing a helmet. I spend little time out in Hillsboro, as it is a good twenty-five-plus minutes from me. I don't know what their homeless situation is these days. But surely, they have some.

Although I try hard to avoid it, occasionally, I do have to ride in city traffic. Not throwing my religion at anyone here, but I do always say a little prayer as I head out that I will make good traffic decisions out there. I do believe that my own choices have a ton to do with how safe it is for me to cycle. Had a close call last week, totally his fault, but I haven't been hit in over a year. Obey lights and stop signs. Signal my intentions in advance. Assume other people are trying to kill me. So on. It's the best I can do. But thinking about how busy that street would be at 8 o'clock on a Friday night, I am reminded all over again of why my usual ride starts at 430 AM during the work week. You can't get hit if there are no cars.
Likes For bpcyclist: