Old 07-02-13, 12:21 PM
Pedalocity

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a difference a full bike fitting at an LBS makes!

Hey guys,

I spent an hour this morning with my Escape RX 1 at an LBS that had a fitting expert, initially I was just looking for a more comfortable saddle, but while I was there we went over adjusting everything to suit me properly. He mounted my bike to a contraption in the store and broke out the protractors to examine every aspect of my position on the bike, and took into account the position I like to ride in.

As a result of all this, he suggested I flip the stem and move one spacer to the top of the stem, while adjusting the angle of my Ergon GP1 grips and bar ends. He then suggested a Selle Royal Lookin Moderate saddle as likely to fit me much better than my current saddle, threw it on my back, and moved it much further back than my cheap Serfa.

While I was there I also grabbed a cheap computer with cadence to help me practice keeping that in the right zone.

The difference was incredible, it felt like a brand new bike! As soon as I got home I took it out for a 5.7km ride and it felt great. No pain in my hands even without using the bar ends too much today, and no pain in my seat bones either. Plus, now that I was finally far enough back, it felt much easier to spin the pedals with my feet.

This is all by way of saying that I cannot recommend getting a full fitting done enough, it's improved my riding experience more than I ever could have anticipated.

Also, pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Selle Royal Saddle.jpg (98.3 KB, 91 views)
Closeup of inverted stem.jpg (99.8 KB, 95 views)
Bike as fitted.jpg (100.8 KB, 129 views)