View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 05:34 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Good plan, and you won't need to do much to it beyond basic cleaning and lubing and gear adjustment. Check out the Park Tools videos on youtube and you can easily maintain it yourself. The FXS6 uses "thru axles" on both ends, so have them show you how to remove the wheels. It's very easy and actually easier than normal quick releases once you understand it. I've been wrenching my own bikes for 25 years, and once I buy a bike, it never sees the LBS unless there is a warranty issue. The parts on your FX are very good quality and it will serve you well! Great idea getting a work stand, and that's the best investment you can make in maintaining your bike. I'm also very fond of the Park chain cleaning tool.
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to have them show me what's what with the thru axles (and I'm googling/YT'ing it as well). I'll need to get intimately familiar with it. Since I only have one bike, I can't stomach the thought of buying a hitch which will cost me almost another grand after install just to transport one bike. I think if I remove the front wheel, put a drop cloth in my backseat to prevent damage/staining, I can fit the S6 in my back seat for transport. Or drop the backseat (although my make/model car has a funky narrow and oddly shaped opening to the trunk so this may be tricky).

I've been watching a lot of those Park Tool videos and I'll likely buy their stands, chain cleaning kit and even some of their tools and torque wrench. Don't want to overtighten a CF frame for sure.