Old 06-11-19, 06:29 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to have them show me what's what with the thru axles (and I'm googling/YT'ing it as well). I'll need to get intimately familiar with it. Since I only have one bike, I can't stomach the thought of buying a hitch which will cost me almost another grand after install just to transport one bike. I think if I remove the front wheel, put a drop cloth in my backseat to prevent damage/staining, I can fit the S6 in my back seat for transport. Or drop the backseat (although my make/model car has a funky narrow and oddly shaped opening to the trunk so this may be tricky).

I've been watching a lot of those Park Tool videos and I'll likely buy their stands, chain cleaning kit and even some of their tools and torque wrench. Don't want to overtighten a CF frame for sure.
Seriously, the accessories like this are super helpful but so pricey. I recommend looking on craigslist for used options. Personally, I have taken apart my various trek bikes over the years and my current emonda road bike (take off both wheels, put bike in trunk) and this has worked out fine for me. I think a used hitch is great if you are a family and transporting several bikes. But I am with you on this sentiment - you spend a pretty penny on your bike and now need to spend the cost of a new bike MORE on a hauler. I had the same thought. None of my bikes have been damaged in transit when I have put them in my trunk.