urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Question FX Sport 6 Bontrager Affinity Wheelset

Originally Posted by urbanOrange
I have some questions about the Bontrager rims that come with the FX Sport series bikes that I'm hoping can be answered here. Going by just the TREK (US) website, the FX Sport 4/5 have the "Bontrager Tubeless Ready Disc" wheels with "Formula alloy" hubs while the FX Sport 6 is equipped with the Bontrager Affinity Tubeless Ready (disc) wheels with "Bontrager alloy sealed bearing" hubs. What's the primary difference between these two wheelsets (e.g., weight, hub efficiency, durability, etc.) besides the graphics? Personally, I think the Affinity rims look cooler with the larger Bontrager type, but performance-wise, what's the actual difference? Does anyone know the specific details. Also, if one purchased an FX Sport 4/5 can an LBS order/install the Affinity rims over the stock rims? TREK doesn't appear to list the Affinity wheels on the website as an item that can be purchased (at least by a consumer), but I'm aware they don't list every single item an LBS is able to order/sell directly to a customer. StuBerger has the Affinity wheels on the FX Sport 5, and I've seen some pics of FX Sport 4s online that also have the Affinity wheelset so maybe it's possible? Thanks for the info.
The only thing I've been able to determine myself, solely based on the TREK website, is that the Affinity TLR rims are "taller" from the rim's hook/lip to the wheel's inside surface (facing the hub), and they have 28 holes compared to 32 on the "Bontrager Tubless Ready Disc" wheels. That increased height means the spokes will presumably be shorter (unless the hub size makes up the difference?). Since they're only equipped as standard on the top-end FX Sport, DS, etc., one would think they're "better" than the other non-Affinity wheels. Do they weigh less? Are they stronger? More aerodynamic? Do they roll more efficiently?

Do any of you owners know?