View Single Post
Old 01-27-20, 12:28 PM
billyO13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The dog owner really needs to be aware of this unpredictability in their animal and make an effort to keep the dog out of the way of other users
I agree. And when I know there are people around, I keep him on a tight leash. I also let other, slower pedestrians know when I'm coming up behind them.

So getting back to my original point...

Originally Posted by SayWatt
It is the passers responsibility to announce him/ herself and it is the person being passed responsibility to be able to hear and react appropriately.
Originally Posted by genec
Folks, it comes down to this... you, approaching another human (with a dog or not)...
(let's not forget other bikers)
Originally Posted by genec
...have the responsibility to pass safely. You have the full picture before you. You have the ability to moderate your speed for the conditions AHEAD. Please do so.

Overtaking traffic, in every situation, has the responsibility to assess the situation AHEAD and respond accordingly.
Originally Posted by noimagination
IMHO, the overtaking cyclist has the primary responsibility here. It is up to him to pass safely...
the cyclist should have ...given warning(emphasis mine)...In the end, acting negligently (or, worse, punitively) is far worse than acting inconsiderately.
Thank you all who understand and were helping to clarify the point I was trying to make in my original post.

So, to emphasize that original point:

When passing someone (be they pedestrians with or without strollers, dogs on leash, in wheelchairs, or other bikers, etc...) let them know you are coming up behind them so that we CAN act responsibly.
It's YOUR responsibility because as far as I know, humans have yet to evolve to have eyes on the back of our heads.
Likes For billyO13: