Old 06-15-20, 10:30 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
What are you considering cold? For me it depends on your definition of cold. I definitely am not a fan of hot weather and cool weather is great, but truly cold weather can be pretty rough for touring. For me sub freezing overnight lows are fine, but sub freezing daytime highs are not my idea of touring weather. I consider frost at night and getting above 50 F every day lovely touring weather. If it hits 50 F by mid morning so much the better.

I have suffered in the heat on tour a lot more than in the cold. The thing is that many places going in summer is the only prudent choice and that means you will wind up dealing with the heat on any long tour with maybe a few cold nights. Thus far the only long route that has appealed to me for winter was the ST and I wasn't all that cold that much of the time. For Summer and even Spring and Fall I seem to always have extreme heat for at least some of every long tour with a cold night here and there at altitude..
Well, what I consider cold is around 5-15 Celcius during the day, anything colder then that for cycling during the day, I just normally have a rest day, but if it continues, I will head for a warmer areas at temps like up to 18 C or home. Cold like 0 to -8 C over night, I don't mind,, much colder, in the areas where I tour don't happen, plus overnight, you can usually warm yourself up, with the appropriate clothes and bedding. I,like you prefer the cooler weather then warmer weather for touring.