Old 07-22-20, 05:02 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I made a go to see how far "up" I could go in an hour. We have no mountains. We barely have hills. Lots of little short hills. You just can't only ascend for the hour, you have to make it back.

I made it 2700 ft doing the hill in front of my house 30 times. All splits were within 2 to 3 seconds each at 1:12. Power was worthless on the left-only meter that reads really low. One lap of 1:11 was like 235w average and another 270w. Zero wind.

It was 91 deg F outside, so power was down a bit. I'm pleased. Not bad I'd say. The math worked out that I was going up for 38min out of 60. So 22min spent going down, or putting my chain back on. It dropped 3x. It needs dropped into the wax pot, it's due.

I will admit to maybe 100 feet of that being "cheat" from gravity. It's a tight loop. Straight up to the stop light, u-turn, hang a left, go down, two rights. The first right is really tight but you do maintain some speed. I will accept the cheat simply because the hill is only 90 feet high. There's no doubt that with longer hills like 400 feet or so you benefit from the faster descent. This one, soon as you hit max speed you're on the brakes. Lots of bumps and pine cones also to avoid.
Not too shabby. I was watching GCN the other day and they had a bit on people posting their Uphill Hour totals. If I remember right, two of the presenters were at 1100-1200 meters. There was a "Chris Phipps" who sent in a message that he'd done 1,000. If that's multiple time national champ Chris Phipps, I'm a little surprised he didn't go better.