View Single Post
Old 10-27-20, 03:36 PM
jimijames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
My old MK I was a 1974 model I believe. You have a good memory to summon that one up from 5+ years ago. Here she is. Last I saw of her she was driving away in the trunk of a very leggy lady.

I will have to remember how it rode but I am spoiled with a professional, international, competition and now this.

The bar tape may look nice from the photos but it has some scuffs and is otherwise not in the most beautiful condition so it will have to go.
I read your rebuild as a guide how to proceed with my own restoration. Also, I'm Canadian too.

I ditched the original cottered Nervar crank and replaced it with a very light 170mm Superbe crank. It's a little on a short side crank for me but it works for now. Would love to find a longer crank sometime in the future. I rebuilt the wheels around the original Normandy sport hubs but I replaced original axles and cones from a campy nuovo tipo hubs, worked like magic! I used Mavic MA2 rims and DT db spokes. Well, and typical restoration sequence: hubs, headset grease and bearings (it was in great shape, btw), new chain, new old stock Shimano Freewheel, new bar tape, cables and housings. Decided to remove Simplex FD and RD and replace it with Suntour Compe V FD and Suntour Vx RD. So glad that OP changed downtube shifters with Suntour barends, so good!

Last edited by jimijames; 10-27-20 at 04:28 PM.